2.16.2010

what do i want to be when I grow up?

I was hanging out with Matt the other day, and we got to this topic. He wants to be a policeman.
But what a terrifying question.

A list of things that I can see myself doing happily:
  • I could own a business. Preferably something cute. Cupcake bakery. Bookstore. I'd love to be like that girl in 'Stranger than Fiction' with the anarchist bakery (although I'd have to become an anarchist)
  • I could be creative. I love photography. I love writing. I love music (but I really don't see that going anywhere, unfortunately). I could write a column for a newspaper. I could write a book. I could write columns, and then put these columns into a book, accompanied by my original photography! So many options!
  • I could teach. I like kids. I especially like smart kids, so I'd have to teach the advanced classes or something. I feel like I could pull off teaching english or math or something. There was a point in my life when I wanted to be a high school guidance counsellor but I can't remember why.
  • Going into advertising could be fun, but it could also be frustrating. I'm not a huge fan of working with other people (or, rather, relinquishing control to the less-qualified-by-my-standards) (yes I know how terrible that sounds).
  • Honestly, I'd be happy with a few kids, as long as I could write at the same time, teach them things, and possibly put them to work in my cupcake bakery. I'm really excited to nerdify my children.
All of this is coming from a girl who would have told you ten years ago that her favorite subjects were math and science.
Yikes.
Too many options.
Not enough clear choices. No sure-bets.

This is like the college search all over again. I'm probably getting started too early, and falling in love with a lot of great options, and having no safeties, because I refuse to settle for anything less than what I deserve.
It worked out okay in terms of college.
In terms of a career, I might be screwed by my high standards for my own happiness.

Oh well. Better than the alternative, right?

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

inkprincess said...

I so much understand your thoughts in this post ... Being a writer is a cool thing and being a teacher, too. I'm going to be both in the future, being the former already ;). I guess there's some Now-I-Know-Moment some day and then you know about your 'destiny'. At least that's what happened to me :).