3.14.2011

phineas gage


We learned Phineas Gage's story once more in Brain Damage this morning. This story is one of my favorites.

I remember once, almost two years ago (wow), trying to explain the story of Phineas Gage to Klaus, in German. It seemed to me that a railroad stake and a ballpoint pen were essentially the same thing. This was back when I knew approximately seven words in german. Now, of course, I know at least nine.

I still do not know how to say railroad stake though. I might still call it a "Gross... Zug... kugelschreiber-dinge?" and I would still of course gesticulate wildly.

It's grey in Providence today and I took a longer nap than I had planned. Mondays are so blank for me, which can be fun (if I have a plan) or tremendously dull (if I don't).
I did manage to give away most of the cans of Brunswick stew though. Chris and Lucas have bonus points in my book for being open minded to Virginian culinary tradition. Andrew and David get zero points for stubbornness. Vegetarians get a free pass. That's why I'm giving them away in the first place.

A food bank would be ideal, of course, but finding one takes effort.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: