3.20.2011

strangeness

Andrew: Shit, I have a parade tomorrow.
Scott: Paraaade!
Me: Thanks, Scott
Scott: I consider myself a conversation enhancer.

Apparently, a couple nights ago after I left the dorm for the post- party, some strangers stole my boxed wine. I say "my" boxed wine because I'm the only one who drinks it, usually.
They were in for a surprise, of course, because I roofied the shit out of that Franzia (I've been trying to build up my immunity like the guy in The Princess Bride). That's why you don't take alcohol from strangers, kids.

Anyway, since this happened, I've been very suspicious of strangers. Last night some randomers came by, and I was certain that they would be after my gin-and-tonic-in-a-solo-cup (you can tell that I roll with a classy crowd). Luckily, I had a mask on hand that Josh had given me because it was Purim, the Jewish holiday of getting so drunk that you can't tell the name of an evil guy from the name of a good guy. It involves noisemakers and costumes and a whore.
So I put on my mask and stand in the doorway looking aloof. It seems to be the sort of thing that someone might do outside a RISD party so as to indicate that anyone who tried to come in would simply be confused by all of the art happening inside.
(There was definitely art happening last night.)

David: You look kind of strange with the mask on.
Me: I am kind of strange.
David: That's true.

More than being strange for its own sake, though, I was being strange to ward off the strangers. That's how strangeness works, right?

So many linguistically interesting things are happening in this post right now, or maybe spending three hours in the Rock has conditioned me into thinking everything is "linguistically interesting" and not just "blatantly not real English."

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

There's a song by Florence + the Machine called 'Strangeness and Charm'. It's also quite linguistically interesting. Just saying.