3.28.2011

train station

I'm sitting in 30th street station.
It's occurred to me that I actually feel like I know this train station pretty well. I've been to Philadelphia enough times to know where the restrooms are and what the layout of the bookstore looks like. It's nice.

Getting familiar with a location is something that I find interesting.
When I was younger, I'd go on walks around my town when I was feeling angsty. By the time I was a junior (about to move and having nervous breakdowns on a somewhat regular basis), I would walk halfway to the metro station by the masonic temple before turning back.

I think part of my vague discontent in switzerland last year had to do with the fact that I never really acquainted myself with my surroundings until much later. I have a theory that if I'd taken off and walked in arbitrary directions more often when I first got there, I'd have been happier.
Bern is pretty small though. I got well familiar with marktgasse in about half a minute.

My point now, though, is that there are random bits of the world that I'm becoming acquainted with, like the Philadelphia train station, and I'm curious as to what it feels like to have this kind of familiarity with the world at large. I could get myself around the train station in Berlin without much trouble, after all, which I think is pretty cool.

I need to keep accumulating these experiences.

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Lisa Maria Koßmann said...

Exactly my thoughts lately! Travelling a lot. It's a great feeling to know where certain trains are heading to, what certain streets look like.