1.31.2009

Mom and Feminism...

Mom mentioned me on her show
They were talking about the PETA ad and she horribly misquoted me... She's the blonde one.
Of course my mom is the blonde one on the feminist show.

Anyways, she showed me the link and we got to talking about feminism.
I didn't think the PETA ad was sexist. I thought it was scandalous, but not sexist. If you watch the clip all the women are saying how PETA thinks they're only talking to men, and women are being objectified.
I felt like it was saying "Hey, you too can be a sexy powerful vegetarian!" to women. Which other companies have been doing for years (replace 'vegetarian' with 'purse-owner' and see what I mean).

Mom: Well remember when [redacted] was saying you were promiscuous?
Me: Oh, she wasn't really. She was just saying I was, among [small group of nice girls], most likely to be.
Mom: I was so mad!
Me: Eh. I liked it. It means I'm pretty.
Mom: *shakes head in feminist disbelief*

Love always,
Clara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It means I'm pretty."
Haha. Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Betty Friedan etc. are all rolling over in their graves. Unless Betty Friedan isn't dead yet. I should check that.