1.23.2009

Sushi and the gender barrier

I've made an effort to break the gender barrier in many of my classes lately. 
See, because we are all five year olds with cooties, we tend to divide ourselves by gender. Girls sit on one side of the room, guys on the other.
It's weird. And I'm so over it.
So occasionally I break the cycle, sit on the boys' side of the room, and see what comes of it. It's usually a positive experience, although there is significant risk of awkwardness if I don't place myself near at least one guy I know I can talk to.
It's less stifling, I suppose.
The thing is I'm so over the estrogen-fest. Isabella and I are tending to sit with the guys at lunch too, and I honestly have more fun. I mean, I'm glad I'm not alone doing it, because that would be awkward beyond my personal threshold, and the two of us are nice buffers for each other if it gets to weird. Regardless, a table full of guys discussing the gory details of scary movies and the logistics of various sexual acts is more entertaining to me than a table full of girls complaining about how much work they have, how stupid their teachers are, how bad the soup is, and how generally dissatisfied they are with their lives.
Girls take themselves too seriously. I include myself in that statement.
Guys don't think that much. It's brilliant.
I want them to teach me.
But then again I don't, because I don't trust myself with not-thinking.

On that note, I had sushi with Sam today.
Normal normal normal. Definition of normalcy. He was going to give me a ride to my car, and then decided he wanted to go to sushi, and needed a sushi buddy. Normal.
I come home and my parents are like "Oh so who was at Ichiban?" and I say "Sam" and they make assumptions. The way people tend to make assumptions about people having sushi. Or other food. Or whatever.
I didn't even eat sushi. I had edamame. 
But that's not the point. If I had gone with Isabella to Ichiban, as I have done, no one would have batted an eye, right? Right. But I was eating dinner with someone with a Y chromosome. Therefore... assumptions.
Here's what I say to assumptions: Whatever. I do what I want.

Love always,
Clara

No comments: